Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Recent changes

I pulled up the subfloor in the original kitchen floor


We were hoping to be farther along on the inside, but we are waiting for some other people. Namely the electrician and the plumber. We need to add the electric for the appliances that will go in the area we've been calling the "kitchen box". So we did what we could inside then turned out efforts outside to work on the fence until after the holiday. The plumber is scheduled to come by Friday to check our work and help us with some final details. The electrician should be out there soon as well, then it will be time to install the kitchen.


Clay finished adding the "kitchen box"



While we were waiting work on the fence began. After all once we move in we will need to be able to contain the dogs. What fun is a big yard if the dogs can't run free in it? We added to the existing fence on the side of the yard. It's your regular ol' picket style fence, but it still looks lovely! Then we pulled up the rusted wire and kudzu fence along the back, to make way for something spiffy! (By the way I did get a nasty case of poison ivy from pulling up the old fence. Who knew you could get it from the roots as well)

Kudzu and rusted wire can't hold in our dogs
Side fence
The fence in the backyard is going to be a little different than your average fence. It's quite possible that you've never seen anything like it. It's going to be a combination of metal and wood, no pickets. So far we have pulled up the old fence, dug all the holes for the posts, and begun to lay it out. We've made our house fairly unique where we can, so we felt no reason to be traditional when it came to building a fence. Why not have a fence that is functional and beautiful? Here's a sneak peek at what we've been doing.


Hmmm...that's different. Wonder what they are up to now?
There you have a little update from the Crap Shack. Hopefully we can get lots accomplished this weekend.


Sunday, November 4, 2012

Back on track

This weekend we have been very busy. It's been nice to see things changing again and not just because of a coat of paint. Since our inspection for the exterior was signed off we could finally move back inside. We decided to start tackling the kitchen. We removed the back wall and one layer of the subfloor. Removing the back wall will add about 40 square feet to the kitchen, and give nice tucked away spot for the fridge and washer/dryer. Removing the subfloor allows us to put down cement board and tile and not have a big step up from the living room. It is looking great!
New header beam, back wall removed, and one clean flat floor!
I can't wait to see what the next week will bring.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

A big step forward

Yesterday our demo permit for the back of the house was signed off by the city as complete. This is a big step for us, because it means the exterior is complete. Now we can start putting together the inside. We have a goal to have most of the house together by Thanksgiving. That's only about 3 weeks away, but I think if we work hard we can do it. It's going to be busy over the next few weeks.