This blog is here to document the buying of a fixer upper house and the process it takes to fix it up. There will be mistakes and grand ideas that never happen. It's going to be fun and hopefully an interesting read.
Monday, January 16, 2012
A little rundown of the week's events (a pictorial)
On Jan. 6th we finally closed on a house. This is it:
Most of the house is in good shape:
Although there isn't a kitchen:
And the electricity was in the yard:
Someone put an extension on the house, but it didn't seem right. Turns out it was 5 1/2 inches out of level, and there was mold:
So over the past week, we investigated and found the problems:
So we decided to tear it down, rather than save it. It's more cost effective in the end:
Today the dumpsters arrived, and things are getting cleaned up:
We've had some issues getting electricity in to the house. There is an open electrical permit from the previous owners. Part of the problem was with the addition we tore down, so that part is solved. This is going to be a tough project. We're not investors, we're homeowners. This house is for us. With the foreclosure price of $53K, it gives us some money to do the repairs. Neither one of us make a lot of money, so this project is on a tight budget. We have some great ideas, lets see if we can make them happen!